Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

switching 350 tbi to carb

spartanrider spartanrider
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/30/08
08:16 PM

ive got a 1987 chevy c10 small block 350 with tbi..i hate it a buddy of mine is giving me a new manifold and a holley 750 for free and i was trying to figure out if the swap would work out..and what would i have to do Help please  

55Guy 55Guy
Guru | Posts: 895 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 05/01/08
06:16 AM

DON"T DO IT! Switching to a carb from TBI is a real pain in the butt, and doesn't make any sense performance wise.

Why do you want to get rid of your TBI? If you're having problems with it, what are they, might be easy to fix. I've got a '92 Silverado with TBI, so I know the system pretty well.  

Sub2582 Sub2582
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/16/08
03:55 AM

Easy go to Summitracing and select your engine and model ant they have all of the manifolds that would work.

The TBI would be the way to go unless you are going to make too much power for it.

The Holly 750 would be much too big for a mild 350, you could use a 600CFM up to 400hp. Shocked

That being said the manifold and carb are not what you need, so sell them then rebuild around the TBI use. You can sell the TBI motor, ECU, manifold and carb and put the money towards a built 350 with a carb if that is what you want. Tongue  

hal698 hal698
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/16/09
10:51 PM

A swap will work out fine if you don't plan on getting it inspected again, or think you will be able to pass emissions with a carb. Emissions is one of the reasons the throttle body is on there in the fist place. Also check and see if the manifold has the vacuum hook ups you will need for your brake booster. You will also need another distributor. Don't forget to put a plug in the bungs in your our exhaust system. The 750 will be too much carburetor for your engine, so you will probably need a 600 or 650 cfm. After that your performance won't improve too much if at all and you may not get the mileage you are getting now.
  If you were putting it into an old car, or an off road vehicle with some hp upgrades and wanted to eliminate the computer and all the extra crap you don't need, I think it would be a better choice.
My two cents  

spartanrider spartanrider
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 05/08/09
08:35 PM

so heres the deal everybody and thier mom has said not ot change it so for the time being im gunna attempt to rebuild it but dont know if it will fix the problem ....i have spark but nofuel you can smell it but dont see it  Confused ....what do i do  

Pitstop Pitstop
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/14/09
10:21 PM

Start with the simple stuff do you get fuel before the filter ? then simply check the fuse if no, check to make sure power to fuse then move your way back down to the pump testing as you go if you definately have power at the top of the tank where the pump drops in then probe into it and see if you can ingage it manually with a probe you will definately hear it kick in if it is working. if it engages and you get fuel through the lines trace back you've missed something in the positive line, if it does not engage it is the pump or the loom travelling down to the pump, if it engages and still no fuel could simply be a blockage (although unlikely) check the pickup at the bottom of the pump inside tank Grin
CHUR  

dave1123 dave1123
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 08/15/09
08:01 PM

Check the wires to the injectors. Sometimes they get pinched or broken inside the insulation and you can't see it. I've got an 87 V10 pickup with an 89 motor in it and I've got all kinds of little problems with it. Little things like stalling when you go into reverse, stalling at traffic lights, etc. Good luck and post your results! You know, I would stick with the TBI. I've got enough bottom end torque to pull tree stumps if I can get the traction!  

cwcathe cwcathe
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/04/09
05:02 PM

Have you solved you stalling problem?  I have the same problerm with my 93 Chevy 1500 Pickup....  I've changed everything but the fuel pump and a rebuild of the TBI.  What do you believe this problem is?  

rargenargle rargenargle
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/23/10
07:50 PM

I have a Chevy 5.7L/350 V8 from a 1988 Chevy Suburban(2wd R10).  I have ripped the engine out of the Suburban to go into my 1998 Jeep Wrangler.  I've opted to throw out the TBI system, and have replaced it with an Edelbrock 600cfm carb and Edelbrock Manifold.  I've kept my budget really low, and I'm trying to use all of the old Chevy parts I can.

I'm looking at distributor and coil options at this point.  I want to keep my stock distributor and cap - any good recommendations for coils.  I saw some of MSD's coils.  I was thinking about the "GM External HEI Coil(8226)".  Anybody have any ideas?  

chevelle83 chevelle83
Addict | Posts: 2280 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 02/23/10
08:03 PM

does this engine have the small cap dist? With external coil.    Or the big cap with coil in the center. If you have the small cap you need to throw it away and get the big cap distributor, the msd coils are awesome by all means.  

JAY311 JAY311
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/08/10
04:19 PM

OK I NEED HELP... BESIDES WHAT THE DOCS CAN OFFER MY 55yr OLD AZZ.. THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY HAVE NO PILLS FOR THIS.. I'M OLD SCHOOL...ASP. CARB. TYPE GUY... I PURCHASED A 1988 CHEVY 1500 5.7 EFI TBI... I CANT GET THIS DAMN THING TO IDLE CORRECT OR ACCEL. FROM A DEAD STOP.. NOW I'VE BEEN THROUGH THE BOOKS... DONE SOME OF THE OLDER TRICKS AND CANT GET IT TO WORK OUT... I'VE USED ALL THE NASA COMPUTER TRICKS AND RUN DOWNS.. I'M STILL ON THE GROUND LOOKING AT A ROUGH RUNNIN 5.7 THAT I CANT GET THE BUGS OUT OF... EITHER I'M NOT DOING SOMETHING RIGHT OR THIS NASA COMPUTER CRAP IS SENDING IT DEAD OVER MY HEAD... CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT COMES ON AND OFF WITH A 44 CODE... CHECK ALL THAT ...O2, INJECTORS IN THE TBI, COMPRESSION, VALVES, VACUUM, FUEL SUPPLY, PLUGS, WIRES, SPARK, ALL GOOD.. DO I SHOOT HER AND PUT HER OUT OF MY MISERY OR CAN YOU OR SOMEONE GIVE HER ONE MORE CHANCE... I'M LOST.. WAS GOING TO CONVERT TO CARB BUT, I SEE YOU ARE ALL AGAINST THIS IDEA.. SHES TO CLEAN TO KILL REALLY BUT I'M LOSING MY LOVE FOR HER... JAY,, 567-686-2789  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 04/08/10
04:50 PM

Jay,,,
I've had similar problems and found that your TPS and other sensors in the intake tract, coke up over time. Your TPS should read "less" than 1 volt on a digital meter,,, or it senses light cruise, not idle. 1 volt or more and your ECM changes all the parameters to suit the voltage.
Get some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip to clean the scuzz off the tiny probes.
That's helped me before, and it might help you too, I hope.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

91sb350man 91sb350man
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/13/10
09:15 PM

hey guys wit gen 1 roler motors...u wanna know a secret to that hesitation your tbi gets from dead stop?? advance your timing untill u have good throttle responce and be sure u dont get a labor knock at midrange...if u do simply retard slightly...btw this will add 30 hp  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 04/14/10
04:06 AM

ive seen a few of the stalling issues get fixed by a new iac valve. the poor performance is usually the tps or its lack of not being installed correctly.   im gonna be the one to swing to the other side. hate me, i dont care. lol. fuel injection is nice when it works right. when your talking a 15-20 year old vehicle, your gonna get some bad wires here and there. i love an old carb set-up for the simplicity of it all. parts are generally cheaper & fixes easier. i sold my tpi set-up and have never regretted it one time. sorry, but putting the fuel pump in the gas tank was a stupid idea. ever changed one? everyone i know has made that statement at least once. emissions is definetly something to consider.  to each there own.  

taylor450 taylor450
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/16/10
07:38 PM

But if u have tbi then u have the computer lock up tranny right, and if u switch it to carb then doesnt that mess up the tranny, i wanna switch my truck from tbi to carb as well but was told it would send the tranny out of wack, is there a way to bypass the plug that goes in the tranny  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last