1956 chevy frame swap question?

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

1956 chevy frame swap question?

guiddogg55 guiddogg55
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/22/08
11:48 AM

I was wondering if anyone has any idea of other year frames that would fit under my 56 chevy i heard a 1983 chevy impala frame would work but i dont know if it's true. any advise would be very helpful, cause i can;t afford an art morrison frame and i dont know if it's worth fixing the rot on the original frame. thanks in advance mike from P.A.  

forty6caddy forty6caddy
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/18/10
09:22 PM

I would not use the original frame if you gave me a new one. I am not hung up on driving old technology...no offense to those purist out there. To each his own. I like performance, safety and money! I also dig the accomplishment of doing something awesome and creative without covering for my lack of ability with dollars. I bought a cop car (92 Caprice) for the drive train and I ended up cutting the floor pan from the firewall to the trunk pan. WHAT AN AWESOME FIT!!!! Not only will I retain the front suspension, benifits of dual cylinder disc brakes,P/S, sway bar, proper motor and tranny mounts,drive shaft length and the list goes on and on...but I will replace my pieced together floor and trunk section,retain the needed fuel tank and 12 body mounts! Its great. Imagine a 55 riding like a turnpike cruiser! Take some time and check out the measurements for yourself. The wheelbase is almost EXACT...tracking width easily adjusted with rims...the posi ...good to go...firewall location, after cutting out the rivets in the top panel PERFECT!  back seat bulkhead...ditto, rocker panel width ...fits the 55 better than the original.
I did something similar to a 46 Caddy with 2 spliced together Buick Regal frames and it was a friggen nightmare at every turn. This one is TOOOOOOO easy... provided you have a plasma,or cut off wheel, a MIG, a tape measure some determination and patience to plan it right. I am in NE PA and you are welcome to come and see it for yourself anytime. I do not check this site very often so you will have better luck contacting me at 46caddy@gmail.com

Mike  
Anybody can do a lot with alot...I wanna do a lot with a little... a whole lot!

forty6caddy forty6caddy
Posted: 03/04/10
09:58 PM

Hey Mike,
Interested in a complete 55 frame...blasted and painted?
Make an offer! Located in 18816
Mike 46caddy@gmail.com  

steven444 steven444
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/02/10
09:43 PM

nice aim forty keep it up  
steven

forty6caddy forty6caddy
Posted: 12/08/12

Wow...  

forty6caddy forty6caddy

Mike       46caddy@gmail.com  

forty6caddy forty6caddy

Wow... Because the interest was so over whelming I am providing a link to some pictures. Here is a link to the finished project

http://picasaweb.google.com/m/albumList?uname=118201873855010480058&start=0  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 854 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/09/12
08:31 AM

Hey 46,long time no see.welcome back  

guiddogg55 guiddogg55
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 12/13/12
07:08 PM

Hey thanks forty6caddy
i cant believe i found this thread up and going. i started this with the original question. and looks i you replyed 2 yrs later and my project has fallin to the wayside due to the economy....so i started looking online again because i want to get going on this car. so i went out and found a 1993 caprice. being winter i wont get much done but i will have all i need for the spring. i would like to get a better understanding on how you tackled the floor portion of the swap. i saw the link you posted and it looks great.i just would like to know if you cut out the floor pan from the caprice and weld it to the project car or did you cut the caprice off the floor pan and lay the project car on top of it and weld it in ???
did the old chevy seats fit in nice ??? sooooo many question soooo ready to get at it. again thanks for the info.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 854 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/14/12
06:03 AM

I think the Timing Of this is Interesting, Starting up again and all. Why not get a thread going on your Build.